Discover the ancient market town of Chatteris from earliest prehistoric settlement to recent times. Over 600,000 years of human occupation is here to see.
Exhibits illustrate traditional aspects of Fenland life on an island, the waterways and drainage, the railway boom and the wealth of a prosperous 19th century market town. Use our interactive audio visual units and get your hands on pottery and stained glass puzzles then build an arch.
The Museum’s touch screen kiosk archive contains over 9,000 photographs and documents copies of which can be made on request. Research facilities are available and ‘loan boxes’ covering specific periods are available for schools, local groups etc
CHATTERIS MUSEUM EXHIBITIONS 2017
100 British birds eggs are on display - collected locally in the 1930s by Neil Moss.
Tractors of the early 20th century – over 100 models of the earliest European [including Porsche & Ferrari !] and North American tracked and wheeled vehicles.
Stainless Metalcraft – A Social History exhibition run in conjunction with a model exhibition of Chatteris railway station.
An Iron Age replica sling is on display – made of woven flax cord. One of the earliest known ‘powered’ weapons. Sling shots have been found at Must Farm Bronze Age village. Also a replica 5th century claw beaker from an Anglo-Saxon tumulus excavated here in 1757.
Coins from Charles I to Queen Elizabeth II along with Chatteris Trade and Ferry tokens from the 17th and 18th centuries are in the upper gallery.
Early 20th century costume jewellery and handbags “the roaring 20s” are on display in our latest upper gallery display unit.
One of the earliest known pieces of British glass was excavated at Ferry Hill in 1757 – we have a replica of this Claw Beaker made between 450 – 550 BC on display.
Come and see the renovated original Chatteris gas lamps which have been made into a sign for the Council Chamber and Museum.
GWB Clare VC – a centenary commemoration in collaboration with the Royal British Legion in the church and Museum from 25th November. Laying the VC stone and erecting a plaque at Clare Street in his memory 28th November.